Thursday, October 13, 2011

Chicago Marathon 2011!!!

On the early morning of Sunday, Oct. 9th Lance ran his 2nd Marathon... yep, that's 26.2 miles! Lance and I headed to Chicago Saturday morning. We arrived in time to visit the convention center to pick Lance's race packet (with his bib number, shoe tag, etc), check into our hotel, and have lunch at the Rosebud, then back to our room for a movie and finally a carbo load dinner at Buca Di Beppo. I didn't really need the extra carbs since I wasn't running but ate like I did anyway;)

Lance found his name on the participant "Wall of Fame"...

The Wall...

Early morning, about an hour before start time...

Runners starting to line up...

After Lance left me to line up...I wandered around Grant Park and took pictures;)

Our meeting spot after the race...
COOL Leg Sculptures....

And their off...

45,000+ runners...WOW!!!
Unfortunately Lance ended up twisting his ankle at the mile 8 water station:( BUT...he kept on running and finished the last 18 miles with a swollen, purple and very sore ankle. He was determined to finish the Chicago Marathon and he did it...in 4 hours and 26 minutes. He finished the Grand Rapids Marathon last year in 4 hours and 17 minutes...so considering his injury, I think he did AMAZINGLY well. I am VERY proud of him and excited to see what he can do in his 3rd marathon at Disney World come January:)

Lance with his medal, beer and Gatorade...right after the race:)

Picture I took of his ankle right after...

Picture I took after we got back to the hotel...OUCH!!!
The BEST part...is that Lance ran for the American Liver Foundation and raised $5,918.00 for this great cause. A HUGE "Thank You!" to all of you who made a donation and helped him reach this goal. AWESOME weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed